The End of ConnochaetOS
I am saddened to announce that ConnochaetOS will cease to exist. The reasons are as follows.
- Almost no active user base. The last Iceweasel update was downloaded 20 times, including bots from search engines and my own boxes.
- The upstream distro, Slackware, has no new version for almost 3 years. It becomes more and more difficult to build software on 14.2.
- The need for 32 bit software is declining. Even very small boxes with low power CPUs can run 64 bit nowadays.
As of now ConnochaetOS will no longer receive updates other that from the upstream distro. As of 08/2019 the website will be shutdown and the domain conochaetos.org will be deleted.
I am proudly announcing ConnochaetOS 14.2, based on Slackware and Salix 14.2. As always it contains only free/libre software as defined by the Free Software Foundation (FSF). We are now using our own deblobbed Linux kernel, named "kernel-free" based on the de-blobbing mechanism done by Debian GNU/Linux. ConnochaetOS contains:
- The de-blobbed Kernel Linux 4.4.19
- IceWM 1.3.12
- Iceweasel 45.3.0
In our slack-n-free repo we provide the current versions of Iceape and Icedove, the brand-new qt5-webengine based web browsers qupzilla and otter-browser and libreoffice 5.1.4 as provided by Eric "Alien" Hameleers.
I'm happy to announce the release of ConnochaetOS 14.1. The installation ISO image comes with
- Kernel GNU Linux Libre 3.10.77
- IceWM 1.3.7
- Iceweasel 31.6.0esr libre
Compared with RC2 Icecat was replaced by Iceweasel libre because Iceweasel needs lesser resources.
ConnochaetOS is a fully free/libre GNU/Linux distro for x86 computers with limited resources, based on Slackware and Salix OS. “Fully free” means, that ConnochaetOS does only contain free software and no proprietary, non-free software, blobs or firmware. Non-free parts of the upstream distros were removed and - where possible - replaced by free counterparts. ConnochaetOS retains full backwards compatibility with Slackware and Salix OS.
You can download the ConnochaetOS 14.1 ISO image from Sourceforge